REGISTRATION FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY SHOULD BE APPROVED THROUGH YOUR DOSE, AS SPACE IS LIMITED TO A CERTAIN NUMBER OF SLOTS FOR EACH DISTRICT.
M³ – Powerful Mathematics: Making Math Matter is a 2 day, hands on, professional learning experience designed for special educators. This experience will focus on building content knowledge, understanding pedagogy, and applying research-based strategies to teaching special needs students. Teachers will receive a mathematics classroom kit including materials and manipulatives to use with students immediately.The session will be filled with opportunities to practice new strategies and learn about how to use concrete tools in a scaffolded instructional sequence.
EACH PARTICIPANT MUST BRING A LAPTOP WITH THEM TO THIS TRAINING.
- Learn and practice strategies that deepen content knowledge and pedagogy.
- Develop a better conceptual understanding of elementary foundational concepts.
- Increase knowledge of the Standards for Mathematical Practice.
- Identify strategies that meet instructional goals for special needs students.
Audience: Special Education Teachers
Dates: March 27, 2018 and April 17, 2018 (for Grades 6-8)
Time: 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Each participant will receive:
- A copy of Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics, Grades 6-8 by Van de Walle, Lovin, Bay-Williams, and Karp
- Vertical Progression Guide from Battelle for Kids
- Classroom kit including the following:Make-and-take activities to use in classrooms immediately
- Fraction and decimal tiles
- Cuisenaire rod set
- Unifix cubes
- Number Balance
- Base 10 Starter Set
- Fraction circles
- Pattern blocks
- Algebra tiles
- Make-and-take activities to use in the classrooms immediately